Enjoy the health and fitness benefits of dance while experiencing the music and culture of the Middle East! Belly dance, known as raqs sharqi (dance of the East) in Arabic, is a great activity for those who want not just a dance class, but a cultural experience. It’s an opportunity to explore the beautiful music of the Middle East and how it is expressed visually through dance. It’s also a unique and interesting form of exercise that can contribute to improved coordination, flexibility, and muscle tone. And unlike many Western dance forms, students of all body types can enjoy the benefits of belly dance class.
In this one-hour taster class, Nisaa will:
- Present an overview of the origins of belly dance
- Guide you through a series of warm-ups to prepare your body for dancing
- Introduce the basic posture and body alignment necessary for belly dance
- Break down several of the hip and torso movements that form the foundation of the dance
- Lead you through your first belly dance combinations to Middle Eastern music!
Always wanted to try? Now's your chance! Come and experience the art of belly dance!
Class size is limited! Only students who register in advance are guaranteed a spot in the class. Please register early in order to reserve your spot.
Please note that class fees are non-refundable after the start of the session. Classes missed in the current session may not be used as credit for classes in future sessions. Registrations are non-transferable.
Register here with PayPal using the link to the right. You don't have to have a PayPal account to use this method of payment.
If you are unable to register online, contact Nisaa.
Liability Waiver and Release:
Please note that students are required to sign a liability waiver and release in order to participate. The liability waiver and release will be provided at the class.
Registration and Payment Information
Sunday, January 28, 2024
Nisaa's Studio (except in the event of a citywide stay-at-home order - please see below)
3904 Flad Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63110
What Do I Wear?
Wear comfortable exercise attire that is somewhat form-fitting (form-fitting attire makes it possible for Nisaa to see and correct your posture and movements). Please do not wear bulky clothes or skirts.
What About Shoes?
Once you arrive at the studio, you'll be asked to kick off your shoes. You can dance in bare feet or socked feet (or dance slippers, if you have them).
Do I Need a Hip Scarf?
No, but you're welcome to bring a simple scarf to tie around your hips, if you like! Please avoid the jingly coin scarves, because their noise distracts from the music.
Special Offer for New Students!
Can't make it to this class? Not able to make it to a weekly class? Or just looking for a fun and unique addition to your next event? Nisaa can bring Taste of Belly Dance to you! Click here for more information!
PLEASE READ BEFORE REGISTERING:
- This class is scheduled to take place in Nisaa's studio (directions here).
- COVID-19 safety precautions remain in effect (see below).
- In the event of inclement weather, class will shift to a live online format via Zoom.
- In the event of a citywide stay-at-home order due to COVID-19, class will shift to a live online format via Zoom.
- If class shifts to a live online format, class fees will not be refunded nor will class credits be issued. By registering, you agree and accept that class may shift to a live online format in either of the aforementioned circumstances.
COVID-19 SAFETY PRECAUTIONS:
- Do not enter more than 15 minutes prior to your scheduled class time
- Do not enter if you are currently experiencing symptoms of COVID-19
- Do not enter if you have had direct contact with a person diagnosed with COVID-19 in the past 14 days (please allow 10 days from date of exposure before returning to class)
- As of January 1, 2023, face masks are optional. However, you are requested to wear a mask if you are experiencing respiratory symptoms such as cough and runny nose.
- You are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to receive a COVID-19 vaccination before joining classes (if you choose to join without being vaccinated please remember that you do so at your own risk)